Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Stenciling Steel

Hi all,

As I mentioned in my last post, I have begun working to the rim accents that will border the shield.

I am using 4130 steel for this part which has been annealed. This makes cutting and shaping easier. I am using 1/8" thick sheet stock so it will be plenty thick as to be sturdy.

First I worked out the shapes and sizes on the shield surface and then transferred those lines to a stencil:


Then, taking those stencils I transferred them to the 4130 plate stock:


Now that I have all the rough shapes transferred to the steel plate (I used black sharpie to minimize ruboff), I can begin the cutting.

Where I need precision, I used a hacksaw and/or coping saw. And where I can just zip I am using an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel:


After a couple hours of labor, I now have a first piece cut clean out. I then threw it on the arbor press and put some curve into it and you can now see it laid on the shield:





Obviously there will be more fine shaping to do and a lot of finishing work, but you can start to see how the pieces will look on the shield surface.

Five more accent pieces for the banding to go and then it will be on to the final shaping.

The mounting process will be covered as we get closer to final fabrication.

See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment